Sunday, March 16, 2014

HSF '14: #5: Bodice: Complete!

Gosh, I can't tell you how pleased I am that this is completed. I'm really glad I decided on this one, and I'm REALLY glad I saw it through to the end! And it is done! I still have to do all the trimming, but I could absolutely put this on right now and go to a ball this very moment, no pinning of anything to keep anything in place!


The construction process was the same as all the other Truly Victorian bodices I've made; in fact, I have made this pattern before. I was confident in the fit, so I just went ahead and made the entire bodice. You can see in the back photo, under the left arm, that there is a small amount of staining. I'm not sure what made it or where it came from, but it should get lost once I finish trimming it too.

The Challenge: #5 Bodice
Fabric: 100% Polyester, 100% Cotton for interlining, either 100% cotton or a cotton/poly blend for lining
Pattern: Truly Victorian #416 1875 Ballgown Bodice
Year: 1875
Notions: thread, vintage buttons, plastic boning
How historically accurate is it?: The shape is, but that's about it lol
Hours to complete: 20-ish based on previous bodice constructions
First worn: Not yet
Total cost: Minimal; probably around $10. Everything was from the stash :)


Setting up the buttonholes.

Uh oh, one of these things is not like the other...
(It got ripped out and re-sewn.)

A brave solider died for the cause!
Amazingly, I didn't break the needle on it!

2 comments:

  1. Very well done. :) And my broken pin over here sympathizes with yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm picturing a social group for bent and broken pins XD "And then I took a needle to the 'knee' and I had to retire."

      Delete

HSM '15 #6: Out of Your Comfort Zone:1840's Dress, Part 3

Part One (Introduction) , Part Two (Bodice and partial sleeves) December 2015 Well friends, I did finish my dress in time for the challe...